Thursday, April 2, 2009

Lenten Reflection - April 2, 2009

Seek the LORD and his strength; seek his presence continually.
Psalm 105:4


Such powerful advice! If there was an owner’s manual for mankind, I believe that this would be rule number ONE. I can easily imagine singing this for all to hear at the top of my lungs, or silently within my head as a reminder. Truly, when I take the time out of my busy, hectic schedule and seek the Lord, I am consistently rewarded with the warmth and love associated with His presence.

Unfortunately, I spend far too much time seeking my own answers and solutions to those issues that I encounter in this life. I often believe that I have to do it on my own in my own way. The truth is that I don’t have to do it alone. Our Lord is always beside me waiting for me to turn to Him. He is there with open arms and an open mind to provide me with direction, strength and might. Why do I so often forget this?

Maybe it’s because many of these times I feel that I am unworthy and that God is not by my side that He is ashamed and has moved away from me. In fact I know and realize today that it is I who has turned my back on Him, not the other way around. In those times when I have successfully sought the Lord, he has provided incredible help and guidance, his strength has become my strength. In the Gospel of Matthew; 6:33, this point is reemphasized: “Seek ye First the Kingdom of God, and his righteousness;
and all these things shall be added unto you.”

Joe Carta