Friday, April 3, 2015

Lenten Reflection - April 3, 2015 Good Friday

There they crucified him, and with him two others, one on either side, with Jesus between them.
John 19:18


These are probably the most sorrowful words to be encountered in the Bible. The mental picture they paint is ingrained in every Christian, and probably most people in the entire world. The agony of crucifixion is an unbearable weight that most of us avoid thinking about. But every year we are reminded of a man without sin, betrayed by a friend, condemned by the mob, brutally beaten and ultimately nailed to a cross. There's nothing good about this. Every aspect of this screams "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?"

Today, for as long as we can bear it, let us carry the weight of that cross by remembering that Christ died for us, willingly, unselfishly, and in love with those same people who condemned him. Then let us consider the other two hanging on either side. Today let them be me and you. Let us wholly embrace the love being poured out for us by inwardly accepting the words taught us in Galations 2:19-20, I have been crucified with Christ, and it is no longer I who live, but it is Christ who lives in me. Today, more than any other day, let us live for Christ in thought, word and deed. Let us love our neighbor. Let us open our hearts and ask God to forgive us. Let us be made new.

Earl Buffaloe