Friday, February 15, 2008

Lenten Reflection - February 15, 2008

“When the teachers of the law who were Pharisees saw him eating with the ‘sinners’ and tax collectors, they asked his disciples, ‘Why does he eat with tax collectors and ‘sinners?’ On hearing this, Jesus said to them, ‘It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. I have not come to call the righteous, but the sinners.’” - Mark 2:13-22

Reflection by Laura Miller

This passage is such a relief to me because it reassures me that I don't have to be "free of sin" or spiritually healthy for Jesus to want to be in my life. I don't have to "have it all together" first. I must, in fact, acknowledge that I am a sinner in need of the "Great Physician" to come and minister to me. God loves us all regardless and is willing to show us the way to salvation. An important part of the passage is to see that Jesus mentions the sick being in need of a doctor which implies that the sinner should not stay as they are but seek help and healing to improve their condition. Often in order to be restored to health we may need to go through unpleasant "treatments.” Are we willing to say to the Lord, "Search me, show me my sins and renew me"? Feeling God's love for me should make me strive to become more Christ-like, but it is great to know He accepts me where I am—failures and all.

Another aspect of the passage is that Christ does not withdraw even though the Pharisees are offended by His associating with the sinners. Are we willing to do what Christ has called us to do even if it offends someone, or will we retreat from someone that needs us when the going gets tough? Jesus was willing to stay with the sinners that needed Him, even though He was ridiculed for doing so. Also, a study note I read mentioned that since Matthew was a tax collector, he probably had invited some of his colleagues to meet Jesus. These may have been some of the individuals referred to in this passage. Matthew appears not to have abandoned his fellow tax collectors but rather hoped for Jesus' power to heal their lives, if they are willing to seek the "Great Physician."

During this time of reflection, let us seek the Lord's renewal in our lives and also do what we can to bring others to the love and healing of God.