Saturday, February 23, 2008

Lenten Reflection - February 23, 2008

"One thing I ask of the Lord, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life." - Psalm 27

Reflection by Michael Ryan

When I was younger and before I had done much Bible study, I thought this verse simply meant that we should all want to go to heaven, to live in the House of the Lord. It was only many years later that I began to take to heart the passage in Luke (17:21) that tells us that “the Kingdom of God is within you” and to recognize that these two ideas are connected in a very wonderful way. If with God’s Grace we can grasp the Kingdom of God within us, we can live in the House of the Lord right now! When I was in the hospital undergoing a serious operation, one of my nurses told me that every breath we take is a gift from God, and I was powerfully reminded once again to dwell “in the house of the Lord” not at some vague and later time, but now, today.