Thursday, March 6, 2008

Lenten Reflection - March 6, 2008

“For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake and for that of the Gospel will save it.” - Mark 8:31-37

Reflection by Marjie Mack

It is hard to imagine that God loves us even more than the love we have for our own children. As a parent, I just cannot imagine how God could send his only son to this human world and allow him to suffer so much in order to save all of us. How awesome is God to love us enough to have done just that! As a human being, it is truly beyond my comprehension. How often do I, like the disciples in the Gospel reading today, just not get it? How often do I wonder how God can allow bad things to happen to good people, especially children? How often do I worry over what really is small stuff?

Jesus asked his disciples, "Who do you say I am?" If I know the answer to that question, then why do I have such trouble yielding myself to God's will? How much time and energy do I spend trying to figure out and adapt to this human world in order to preserve my life and status and obtain more material things? Why don't I realize that all I am and all I have comes from God and it all belongs to God? Why don't I share more of my things and my life with others to serve him? If I lose my old self and accept my new life in God, I will have everlasting life. Maybe I will also be able to experience the kingdom of God on earth.