Thursday, April 17, 2014

Lenten Reflection - April 17, 2014 Maundy Thursday

I tell you the truth, I will not drink again of the fruit of the vine until that day when I drink anew in the kingdom of God.
Mark 14:12-25


Jesus shared these words with His twelve disciples during The Last Supper. They broke bread and drank from the cup. Jesus told them, "This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many...I tell you the truth, I will not drink again of the fruit of the vine until I drink it anew in the kingdom of God."

I think Jesus' words were meant to prepare the disciples for His crucifixion. These twelve men had followed Jesus with unshakeable faith. They had heard Him preach and had witnessed Him perform many miracles. I would imagine, no matter how much Jesus may have reassured them that His crucifixion was God's will, it was a painful and difficult thing for them to understand and to accept. I think Jesus' words were meant to prepare them for His death, which He knew was imminent. He may have also hoped His words would comfort the disciples by reassuring them that He was not afraid - that He would have life everlasting in the kingdom of God. Jesus needed the disciples to believe in the kingdom of God, to know that it should not be feared so that they would continue to spread the word of God.

Kathy Dickinson (2008)