Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Lenten Reflection - April 2, 2014

But Martha was distracted by her many tasks; so she came to him and asked, "Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me to do all the work by myself? Tell her then to help me." But the Lord answered her, "Martha, Martha, you are worried and distracted by many things; there is need of only one thing. Mary has chosen the better part, which will not be taken away from her."
Luke 10:38-42


This scripture came at the perfect time for me. There are certain times of the year when I must let Martha out and other times I keep her locked away. I read the passage this morning and realized she is overdue to be put away. It is so easy to not see what is right in front of you because you are too busy looking at tasks to be done. We want to have all of our ducks in a row because this is what is expected of us. In the moment of completing our tasks it becomes easy to judge and resent those who are simply "living" (like Mary was). Instead I think this is a perfect lesson for us to look inside ourselves to find what is most important. We should be focusing on the blessings we have received. Living the life God wants for us. Turning away from the daily grind and to focus on the here and now. This is what living is. Sometimes it is easier said than done - especially on Sunday mornings when we have so much to do. When we attend church we are getting what Mary sought after that afternoon - spiritual guidance. We all need to live in the moment like Mary was able to do. Let Martha come out only out of necessity.

Nola Meyers (2011)