Thursday, February 25, 2010

Lenten Reflection - February 25, 2010

Jesus answered, "You say that I am a king. For this I was born, and for this I came into the world, to testify to the truth. Everyone who belongs to the truth listens to my voice."
John 18:37


The setting is the Palace of the Roman governor, Pilate, after Jesus’ arrest. Jesus (is bound) before Pilate. Pilate would have given anything if he could convince the chief priests and the Jewish population that he could not condemn Jesus to death on what little evidence they presented. He found no fault in Jesus saying, “My kingdom is not of this world.” The Jews hoped Pilate would find Jesus guilty of blasphemy because he had been called “King of the Jews.” That, they felt, put him on a par with God. Jesus was the only one who knew what was going on. He really was about his father’s business, fulfilling his father’s plan. The Jews could not put him to death, by their law. So, they claimed he was a threat to Caesar so that the Roman Authority would do their dirty work. Pilate knew he was being used by the Jews. He also heard Jesus say, “For this I was born and for this I came into the world, TO TESTIFY TO THE TRUTH. Everyone who belongs to the truth listens to my voice.” In despair, Pilate gave the crowd a choice: Barabbas or Jesus. They cried for Jesus’ crucifixion. Pilate feared the crowd.

Have you ever made a decision based on the weight of the crowd when your heart and mind told you otherwise?

Caroline Chisum