Saturday, February 27, 2010

Lenten Reflection - February 27, 2010

Recite [these words] to your children and talk about them when you are at home and when you are away, when you lie down and when you rise.
Deuteronomy 6:7


That old line about “How do you get to Carnegie Hall?” “Practice, practice, practice” came to mind when I read this verse. Now, I know I can’t ‘practice’ my way into God’s heart – I am a child of God purely by his loving grace – but I can practice being a better Christian. (Unfortunately, it doesn’t seem to come naturally to me). I can return God’s love by honoring, practicing, his commandments.

In Chapter 5, God gives the 10 commandments to Moses. In Chapter 6, Moses gives them to the people. Chapter 6:6: “These commandments that I give to you today are to be upon your hearts.” If I practice acting on what is in my heart, that thing becomes easier, more natural to do “when you are at home and when you are away, when you lie down and when you rise.” And the children, who seem to learn by absorption, by watching and listening, will profit.

Patti Sachs