Sunday, March 14, 2010

Lenten Reflection - March 14, 2010 The Fourth Sunday in Lent

But those who do what is true come to the light, so that it may be clearly seen that their deeds are done in God.
John 3:21


I love the light! I feel uplifted on a sunny day. I always have more energy and more optimism, and I get more done. I gravitate toward the light, just as my plants do. I love to sit by a window when I have a choice of seats. As I get older, I find that I even see better when I am in the light. Light makes it easier to see everything on the surface of things— both good and bad. Flaws show up even more when something is exposed to the light. But how easy is it to see what is inside of us? How could I get that light to shine inside to see my strengths and my flaws? Do I even want to? When Jesus said the words in our passage for today, he was teaching a Pharisee named Nicodemus. Jesus was trying to get Nicodemus, a teacher himself, to go deeper than the surface so he could understand how important it was not just to follow the letter of the law, but to believe in Jesus and have God’s Spirit in his heart.

From other passages in John, we know Jesus said, “I am the way and the truth, and the life” (John 14:6) and “I am the Light of the World. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.” (John 8:12) When we follow Jesus, we are in the truth and the light. We are in God’s will. As Jesus moves, we need to make sure we follow him in order to stay in the light.

Marjie Mack