Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Lenten Reflection - March 2, 2010

Jesus said to him, “Go; your son will live.” The man believed the word that Jesus spoke to him and started on his way.
John 4:50


I found that the surrounding text provides interesting details about this situation. This story takes place in Cana of Galilee where earlier Jesus had turned water into wine. A nobleman's son was sick to the point of death at Capernaum. The nobleman heard that Jesus was there and asked him to go and heal his son. Jesus states that people won't believe unless they see signs and wonders. Jesus tells the man to return home, that his son is alive and he believed. When the nobleman returned home, his son was indeed well and he asked the servants at what hour the son's fever had left. He confirmed that it was the same time that Jesus had spoken to him. This led the whole household to believe.

When I first read this verse I thought it was ironic that I should receive it because I had a son that did die. However, I realize he received a healing also; not a physical healing like the boy in the story but a restoration of a different type. The first Easter after Benjamin's death, I found myself at one point in tears. They were both for sadness and joy at the same time. The deep sorrow over seeing what should have been my child's first Easter celebration was mingled with the fact that he had received the full "healing" of God because he is alive indeed as Christ is alive.

Jesus provided many signs to his Biblical followers and to us. Through the ultimate miracle of his own resurrection, he provides us with the encouragement we need to put our full trust in Him, whether we receive physical healing in this world like the nobleman's son, or spiritual healing in the world to come.

Laura Miller