Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Lenten Reflection - March 9, 2010

I did not... command them concerning burnt offerings and sacrifices. But this command I gave them, “Obey my voice, and I will be your God, and you shall be my people; and walk only in the way that I command you, so that it may be well with you.”
Jeremiah 7:22-23


Reading this passage, I felt that each verse had a message. Although I do not think of “burnt offerings and sacrifices” from the first verse as terms in my daily life, upon further reflection, I believe this applies to the acts I perform routinely, and without thought or consideration, simply because they are symbols of my commitment to God. How often when we are reciting the Lord’s Prayer, do we simply state the words, without the recommitment that each new recitation should bring? As a teacher of young children, I often have to stop them from considering these prayers a race to finish. In our fast-paced world, we often look for the “magic pill” that will make us richer, thinner, smarter, or a better Christian. Moving forward I hope to consider more seriously the sacrifices necessary to become a better leader and Christian, as well making the rituals more meaningful and less routine.

The second verse is much simpler in meaning, but often the most difficult for us to follow. “Obey my voice, and I will be your God…” This statement is very clear, and offers very little in the way of personal interpretation – listen to God, and follow his commands. If each of us listens to God and follows His commands, everything else will fall into place, but for many of us, myself included, the feeling that we know best for ourselves can be difficult to put aside. I must remind myself that if I obey God’s voice, all will be well for me.

Cheryl Dorr