Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Lenten Reflection - March 15, 2011

"Be still, and know that I am God! I am exalted among the nations, I am exalted in the earth." The LORD of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our refuge.
Psalm 46


One of the things I find myself saying lately is "Why am I surprised at God's providence, grace, and faithfulness"? When life deals lemons, with God‘s help they turn to lemonade. Each time this happens, I immediately thank the Lord for helping me find the light in the situation, but I remain surprised. Why do I continually think of God‘s providence as an accident or a coincidence? As my Lord and Savior, it should be no surprise that God‘s presence in my life is continual and "his mercies endure forever."

Psalm 46 is a comfort. It encourages us to have hope in the Lord. In difficult times, we can "find refuge and strength" in God. Psalm 46 proudly promises that the Lord is with us and the God of Jacob is our refuge. Similarly, in Genesis 28, God promised Jacob that he will watch over him wherever he may go, and that God will keep his promises. This same God keeps watch over us; He cares for us, protects us, and sustains us. In this Lenten season, let us not be surprised at God‘s providence, but find comfort and security in His promises.

Allison Parker

This passage says to us that God is all powerful. We can go to him for comfort and help no matter what the situation. Our God is all powerful and reigns over everything including His people. This idea helps me to feel safe and secure. To know that my God is our refuge helps calm any doubt or fear we may have.

We feel safe because we know that there is someone greater than we that is protecting us and watching over us. This is shown by everyday experiences such as when God protects us from wrong choices and instead leads us down the right path. It's also humbling to think that there is something greater than all of us.

Max Spiers and Alyssa Day