Thursday, March 1, 2012

Lenten Reflection - March 1, 2012

For you were called to freedom brothers and sisters; only do not use your freedom as an opportunity for self-indulgence, but through love become slaves to one another. Galatians 5:13

"Called to freedom"? I thought freedom exempted me from ANY duty to anyone or thing!! Look it says so in the Oxford Dictionary – ‘personal liberty of action, non slavery'!!!— and then "through love become slaves to one another"!! What is this – a trick?, a little brain teaser to keep me hopping? FREEDOM??

Actually…No! – "Faux freedom" (doing precisely what I like) makes memiserable! I admit, what C.S.Lewis says is true: "Some of the things the ordinary self wanted to do turn out to be what we call "wrong": well, we must give them up. Other things, which the self did not want to do, turn out to be what we call "right": well, we shall have to do them" - I need help! Can't do it on my own!

In his letter to the Galatians (called the charter of Christian freedom), Paul is talking about a free life in God, through the 'truth' that is Jesus Christ. Jesus replaced the 'rules' and laws of old (outer performance oriented), with a change of heart, setting us free from inside. He IS the truth, and promised "You will know the truth and the truth will make you free" (John 8.32).

In a homily (Faith Leads us Beyond Ourselves), at Oriole Park, Camden Yards in Baltimore in October, 1995, Pope John Paul II said "Every generation of Americans needs to know that freedom consists not in doing what we like but in having the right to do what we ought" – "We must guard the truth that is the condition of authentic freedom, the truth that allows freedom to be fulfilled in goodness" - along with love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, faithfulness and self control.

With relief - An honest and freedom filled morning prayer:

So far today I've done well. I haven't gossiped, I haven't lost my temper, I haven't been greedy, grumpy, nasty, selfish, or over indulgent. I'm very thankful for that. But in a few minutes, Lord, I'm going to get out of bed, and from then on I'm going to need a lot more help. Please help me. Amen.

Nan Lewis