Sunday, April 1, 2012

Lenten Reflection - April 1, 2012 Palm Sunday

Let the same mind be in you that was in Christ Jesus, who, though he was in the form of God, did not regard equality with God as something to be exploited, but emptied himself, taking the form of a slave, being born in human likeness.
Philippians 2:5-7


The reading for today talks about how Jesus does not place himself as an equal to God. He took the form of a slave, lived a human life (without sinning) and we know that he only asked God to take his cup from him if it was God's will. He willingly gave of himself.

How often do we think we are above someone else or give of ourselves? Makes you squirm a little doesn't it? I know that I squirm from time to time. I try to be a good Christian woman, but fall short more than I like to admit.

There was a time at the intersection of Rtes. 2 and 450 that a man would be there asking for money. I gave to him each time until I read that a group of people came down from Baltimore on a coach bus to panhandle. I felt hurt more than angry, but I stopped giving to him. That was until one day my son Cody called me on it. He asked why I had stopped and I explained to him about the newspaper article. From the backseat my son said, "Mom you may be looking at the face of Jesus." Cody said that we really didn't know what the man's life was like. He was right. I quickly pulled out a couple of dollars to give to him.

We need to keep trying to live a Christ like life and serve God fully. Let's take the walk with Jesus.

Sharon L. McGlaughlin