Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Lenten Reflection - April 3, 2012

And he said to me, "You are my servant, Israel, in whom I will be glorified." But I said, "I have labored in vain, I have spent my strength for nothing and vanity; yet surely my cause is with the Lord, and my reward with my God."
Isaiah 49:3-4


The Book of Isaiah, a great prophet in Jerusalem, was written a long time ago, but the strong words in this servant song also resonate with me today. How often do I feel as if I am working hard, yet spinning my wheels and not accomplishing anything worthwhile? How often do I get discouraged because I don't see immediate results from my work? How often do I rely on other people to let me know what they think I should do, rather than spending time in prayer to discern what God would have me do? How often do I wish that someone would notice the hard work I do and think it is important?

I have to remember that just as God chose Israel to be his servant so long ago, God has also chosen us to serve him today. When I remember that all my focus belongs on God, I can put aside my feelings of inadequacy at not accomplishing what I consider great or important things. I can make sure that I pray and listen to God for the work he has for me to do. I can make sure that I look to God to see whether he is pleased with me.

Sometimes it is hard for me to imagine how my seemingly small works could be pleasing to Almighty God. All I have to do is remember that if I serve God faithfully, he will be glorified through me and my reward will come from him.

Marjie Mack