Monday, April 2, 2012

Lenten Reflection - April 2, 2012

Here is my servant, whom I uphold, my chosen, in whom my soul delights; I have put my spirit upon him; he will bring forth justice to the nations.
Isaiah 42:1


This portion of scripture begins what some people refer to as the "Servant Songs of Isaiah". They are passages describing the Messiah; Jesus being the servant of the Father. Prior to this verse, Isaiah speaks about the futility of idols and the foolishness of man. He is encouraging the people that a time of "justice for truth" will come. In the subsequent verses he characterizes the type of justice as compassionate, stating "a bruised reed he will not break" and he will "open the eyes of the blind."

I feel that we, living today, can benefit from this hope of seeing God's truth and spirit in an outpouring again at the second coming of our Lord, since it is easy to become discouraged by looking at the sinful world around us, just as the people of Isaiah's day were surely frustrated at the idolatry going on around them. They had the promise of Messiah's first coming and beyond that we have the promise of his return.

Laura Miller