Monday, March 18, 2013

Lenten Reflection - March 18, 2013

Then Mary said, 'Here am I, the servant of the Lord; let it be with me according to your word.'
Luke 1:38


I was excited when I received my Lenten reflection Bible passage, because it was given to me during the season of Advent. The beautiful story of the birth of Christ is what Christmas is all about, a biblical tale that I never tire of hearing. Our Celebration Choir presented a magnificent cantata on Christmas Eve that told of our Savior's birth through song and narration. One song, "Breath of Heaven," focuses on the awe Mary felt as being chosen by God to bear His son. One line, in particular, "I offer all I am, for the mercy of your plan…" speaks to the message that this passage is saying. It was my favorite line in the song, and I truly feel that God had a hand in assigning me this scripture for reflection.

When the angel Gabriel appeared to Mary, and delivered the good news that she, a virgin, would become pregnant and bear a son who would be called Jesus, Mary did not hesitate in accepting the news with the reply, "Here am I, the servant of the Lord; let I be with me according to your word." This was a marvelous expression of faith by Mary, demonstrating that she firmly and whole-heartedly believed what Gabriel had told her. She did not demonstrate any measure of disbelief, as she knew it was her calling to serve the Lord.

The news of being The Chosen One carried the potential of inconvenience for Mary. Would Joseph abandon their plans for marriage? Would she be shunned by fellow townsfolk? What about her reputation. Would she be left pregnant and helpless? And yet she responded to Gabriel's news with the perfect response, without hesitation, "Here I am Lord…" She was stating that she was ready to dedicate herself to the Lord's service.

As we reflect during this Lenten season, we need to ask ourselves if we, like Mary, are willing to commit ourselves, by faith, to our Lord's service. If we put our faith in God, seemingly impossible situations will become possible.

Susan Dowling