Saturday, March 9, 2013

Lenten Reflection - March 9, 2013

The second is this, 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself.'
Mark 12:28-34


This is a passage of scripture that I have been familiar with my entire life! As a child my mother would often remind me, and show me by her actions, that loving others was an essential part of life, and that God expected this from all people. However, never has this passage been more difficult than in my adult life. Loving others is not always easy! God is not asking us just to love our children or spouse (which some days is easier than others), but rather he is asking us to love our neighbor. God interprets our neighbor as everyone on this earth, no matter how lovable or unlovable they may be. He wants us to take time and show his love to those people that we come across every day. This means showing compassion to your co-workers who drive you crazy and never seem to have a positive word to say about anyone or anything, being patient with the store clerk who is moving in slow motion, and loving those who actively do things to hurt you. I do try each day to love both the lovable and unlovable people that are in my life, but I will admit that I do fall short quite often. My response is to pray for forgiveness, patience and for God's love to shine through me to everyone that I encounter. This prayer brings me peace and the strength to try to love my neighbor again the next day.

Brenda White