Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Lenten Reflection - March 24, 2015

In the same way the chief priests also, along with the scribes and elders, were mocking him saying,"…He trusts in God; let God deliver him now, if he wants to; for he said, ‘I am God's son." The bandits who were crucified with him also taunted him in the same way.
Matthew 27:41,43


I find it is helpful to read the verses before and after the assigned scripture. There is so much to learn from it. Quite honestly, those that were considered important at that time, were superficial, judgmental of Jesus and saw him as a threat. They were afraid of him, of what he could do. They did not understand that while he could perform miracles for the people, he would only do God's will in regards to himself.

He could have saved himself as he was fully divine, yet he would take no wine as it would dull the pain he was to endure, he would not take himself down from the cross because it was he who was paying our debt, for our sins. He was crucified like a common criminal yet he states, "I am God's Son." What faith He showed to those around him on that day and to us in present time.

I, a mere human am faced with holding onto my faith each and every day. I look to Jesus to keep me strong in that faith.

Sharon McGlaughlin