Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Lenten Reflection - March 31, 2015

For Christ did not send me to baptize but to preach the gospel, and not with eloquent wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power.
1 Corinthians 1:17


Although some choose to give many gifts to the church, every Christian has a particular calling that Christ has chosen for him or her. In Paul's case, he knows that Christ has called him to the ministry of preaching over any tasks, such as baptism, that he may have performed for the church in its infancy. Once accepting his call.to be a preacher, he adapts that call to his particular rhetorical style, using gifts that Christ has specifically provided for him.

Do we always hear the call? Or, if we are aware of what we have been called to do, do we follow through? Do we question whether our gifts are sufficient for the task? When is the right time to begin that ministry?

For many years, I felt that St. James' must minister to the spiritual needs of ill or homebound parishioners, and that this was not the exclusive job of the clergy. Discerning in EfM that this was my calling, I contacted those in charge of providing food to the sick and offered to also bring communion. No response. So, I waited.

Finally, Deacon Bob McCoy started the Eucharistic visitor ministry. I volunteered and eventually was asked to lead the program, using my talents and those of a cadre of volunteers. I can honestly say that I've never had a better or more satisfying job. And I know, at least for now, that this is the job that Christ wants me to perform.

May each of us hear his or her call and be empowered to follow through.

Charlie Wolf