Friday, March 27, 2015

Lenten Reflection - March 27, 2015

"Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree – in order that in Christ Jesus the blessings of Abraham might come to the Gentiles, so that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith."
Galatians 3:13


In his letter to the Galatians, Paul reminded the early Christians that Christ has removed the curse of the Law (that is, death) through His death on the cross according to scripture. He also reminded them that God promised Abraham that his people are God's people and that Christ bestowed this blessing upon the Gentiles through his death and resurrection. He reproached them saying that they who had begun in spirit had now put their faith in self.

This and related verses in Galatians prove that we are God's people and highlight the wonderful gift Jesus brought to each of us. I never thought much about this verse before and as I reflected on it I know I am blessed by God's promise through Christ. What a gift for us all to accept Christ as our redeemer and live our faith. Many times I think I can rely on myself rather than the Spirit and can use Paul's reminder in my daily life.

John Ransom