Sunday, April 10, 2011

Lenten Reflection - April 10, 2011 The Fifth Sunday of Lent

Even before a word is on my tongue, O LORD, you know it completely.
Psalm 139:1–12


“Is God bigger then Santa Clause?” “They are about the same.” “I mean which one could beat the other one up?” “Why would either one want to do that?” “Oh mom, you don’t understand.” “Why don’t you try to help me understand?” “Well, you know before Christmas I tried really hard to be good and it wasn’t all that easy either. I kept hearing that song “He sees you when you’re sleeping, he knows when you’ve been bad or good.” I made it until Christmas and it really paid off. I was relieved that I didn’t have to be as good after that. Then in church I heard the reader say “God sees us ALL THE TIME!” He sees us going out the door and coming back in again. Even if it’s dark outside. He sees me even if I’m playing hide and seek. He knows what I’m going to say even before I say it, like right now! And I thought, here we go again. Why can’t I be my own natural self? Wouldn’t he still love me?”

“Well your own natural self is pretty nice, most of the time. And God loves you at all times. Santa Clause seeing you at all times is just a song to get you thinking about being good. God sees each one of us all the time and he loves us all the time, too. Because God made us, He knows what each one is capable of and He helps us strive to become that person. Sometimes it’s harder than at other times. Just remember that God is always, always with you every step of the way. Whether it’s hard or easy.”

Caroline Chisum