Sunday, April 24, 2011

Lenten Reflection - April 24, 2011 Easter

Mary Magdalene went and announced to the disciples, “I have seen the Lord”; and she told them that He had said these things to her.
John 20:11–23


Last December, Bishop John Rabb visited our Parish and preached at our services. The Gospel for that Sunday was Matthew 11:2-11, the story of John the Baptist. Being imprisoned and knowing that his death was imminent, John sent his disciples to Jesus to inquire if He was the Messiah—the one whom they were expecting. Jesus told them: “Go and tell John what you hear and see.” Bishop Rabb kept emphasizing that they were told, “Go and tell John.” He reminded us all that each one of us needs to go and tell “others” what we have heard and seen. We, you and I, have seen and heard the Lord in our lives. The Gospel message printed above tells how Mary Magdalene “went and announced to the disciples, ‘I have seen the Lord.’” On this Day each of us must proclaim “I have seen the Lord.” As I am writing this reflection, I am recovering from a hip replacement. The prayers and love extended in my direction have made me, more and more, able to proclaim “I have seen the Lord.” The love of the crucified Jesus for us and now God having raised Jesus from the dead for us have been ever so clearly demonstrated to me by your love having been poured out from the Christ who dwells within each of us.

Bill Ticknor+
Rector