Thursday, April 7, 2011

Lenten Reflection - April 7, 2011

You visit the earth and water it, you greatly enrich it; the river of God is full of water; you provide the people with grain, for so you have prepared it. You water its furrows abundantly, settling its ridges, softening it with showers, and blessing its growth.
Psalm 65


The palmist is acknowledging God’s grace. This passage reminds me that God is in control, not I. That God is in control does not absolve me of the need to try as hard as possible in my daily efforts, but the passage reminds me that if I succeed, I do so because of God’s grace. There are too many uncontrollable variables that condition the outcome of my efforts to ever ascribe success to myself. God ultimately determines the course of my life. I must seek through the Spirit to find and do God’s will. If I do that, the passage says God will provide a helping hand.

Mitchell Owens