Thursday, February 19, 2015

Lenten Reflection - February 19, 2015

Therefore let the entire house of Israel know with certainty that God has made him both Lord and Messiah, this Jesus whom you crucified.
Acts 2:36


The last sentence of the first Easter sermon . . . Peter's summary of what he had preached – that Jesus was divinely tasked and attested to by His miracles; that the popular and national response was to crucify Him; that God's response in turn was to raise Him up from death and to His right hand; that the testimony of the apostles' speaking in tongues was Jesus' exercise of His authority by pouring out the Holy Spirit; and that the people of Israel should – with certainty - understand that, in contrast to their putting Him to death, God had appointed Jesus as King and Savior . . . and it provoked a response -- "What shall we do?"

In context I can almost hear the assertiveness and power of Peter's conclusion reflected in this verse. His listeners certainly did – v.37 says they were "cut to the heart". Peter's sermon clearly impacted them, radically and emotionally. So, why don't I feel such an emotional response to his assertion? Did God make me cold-blooded? Or is it the sinful corruption of my heart? Or something else?

I have struggled with this question for what seems like my entire life, and I am no closer to an answer now than I was 50 years ago. Fortunately, in His mercy God has not based my relationship with Him on how I feel, but on trust of His promises. If I repent and have been baptized in the name of Jesus for remission of my sins, if I confess with my mouth that Jesus is Lord, and if I truly believe in my heart that God raised Him from the dead, I will be saved. And I can be as certain of that as the fact He is Lord and Messiah!

Graham Clark