Thursday, February 26, 2015

Lenten Reflection - February 26, 2015

May I never boast of anything except the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.
Galatians 6:14


During my research of this passage, I found it interesting that Paul wrote the letter in his own handwriting thereby emphasizing its importance. His goal was to declare in no uncertain terms that he placed his trust in nothing but Jesus Christ –- crucified for the pardon of our sins and the salvation of our souls. The symbolism of the cross is also very important. In earlier times, the cross was an instrument of torture, a symbol of utter shame and a most dishonorable form of death. When you think about it, it is truly astounding that God could use the vilest of symbols and turn it into a glorious token of victory.

So what does this boil down to for us? Like Paul, we need to trust in and rely on our Lord at all times. While this may seem difficult during moments in our lives, it is He who grounds us and provides that spiritual comfort no one else can fulfill. Living our lives in a thoughtful and caring manner is a small price to pay for the One who sacrificed so dearly to take on the sins of the world. If ever in need of being reminded of the importance of that sacrifice, I would refer you to the lyrics of "The Old Rugged Cross": "To the old rugged cross I will ever be true; Its shame and reproach gladly bear; Then He'll call me someday to my home far away, Where His glory forever I'll share" (last verse).

Am Okrzesik