Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Lenten Reflection - February 24, 2015

And carrying the cross by himself, he went out to what is called the Place of the Skull, which in Hebrew is called Golgotha.
John 19:17


This passage from John is about Jesus carrying the cross to his crucifixion. For me, this passage is a reminder of my commitment in 2014 to the Daughters of the King (DOK). DOK was founded in 1885 for women of the Episcopal, Anglican, Catholic and Lutheran Churches. The focus of the Order is prayer, service, and personal evangelism. There are over 26,000 Daughters around the world. I am part of a religious order that is a caring community of women who support each other in our faith journey, and who work to strengthen our parishes.

When I learned the DOK motto, I realized that this is a group of women with values and commitments consistent with my own.

I am but one, but I am one.
I cannot do everything but I can do something.
What I can do, I ought to do.
What I ought to do, by the grace of God, I will do.
Lord, what will you have me do?

The Spirit of the Living God truly inspired our founding mothers and the clergy who supported them. Today, 130 years later, God is still moving among us, fanning the flames of our ministry and drawing us to a closer, more personal relationship with Him through our dedication to prayer, service and evangelism. With heart, mind and spirit, we uphold and bear the cross.

Visit www.DOKnational.org to learn more.

Linda Rines