Monday, March 10, 2014

Lenten Reflection - March 10, 2014

Then your light shall break forth like the dawn, and your healing shall spring up quickly; your vindicator shall go before you, the glory of the LORD shall be your rear guard.
Isaiah 58:8


That is a nice thought but what do I have to do before the "Then"? God's prophet is speaking what the Lord tells him to say. One of our anthems asks "How could I not have known Isaiah would be there?" And one of the praise songs we sing tells us "He will bear us on the breath of dawn and make us to shine like the sun." That is surely to be desired. What must I do? I read back and find Isaiah is describing the way God wants me to spend a day of fasting. (Definitely not in black, with a long face) God wants me to break the chain of injustice, free the oppressed, cancel debts, feed the hungry, cloth the naked, be available to my own family—I'm thinking, two out of six isn't too bad, but it's not good either. It is just a beginning. That is what I have to do before the "then."

Caroline Chisum (2009)