Sunday, March 30, 2014

Lenten Reflection - March 30, 2014 The Fourth Sunday of Lent

I wait for the LORD, my soul waits, and in his word I put my hope...
Psalm 130:5


Waiting ... so very hard for most of us ... certainly for me! After all, taking control of our lives makes us actually believe that we can ensure our comfort and safety and even achieve our dreams and goals all on our own - such a false sense of security. We continue to feel unfilled, to anxiously search...

Maybe, at some point, we finally make the conscious decision to "let go and let God" ... or maybe we just finally stumble and fall, exhausted and hopeless, and experience God in all His wonder as He reaches down, picks us up, and "gifts" us with His Peace and Grace - despite ourselves, despite our plans to control, despite our lack of patience with Him or our failure to realize He was there all along just waiting for us to "settle down" and let Him get on with the business of working through us and our lives to His purpose.

It's just so easy to get caught up in the events of the "now" and forget all that. Yet each time I do, He patiently reminds me yet again that I can absolutely count on His guidance and forgiveness, and it becomes so much easier to put my hope in His word ... to wait patiently for forgiveness ... for guidance ... and, while waiting, take comfort in my "downtime" as He prepares me for the next exciting adventure!

Pamela Blyth (2009)