Saturday, March 22, 2014

Lenten Reflection - March 22, 2014

For my sighing comes like my bread, and my groanings are poured out like water. Truly the thing that I fear comes upon me, and what I dread befalls me. I am not at ease, nor am I quiet; I have no rest; but trouble comes.
Job 3:20-4:6


The key question to the entire book of Job is why do good men suffer bad things or why is there suffering in the world. In this particular passage Job is lamenting his condition.
- Job hasn't the strength to eat. It is a monumental effort to get bread, eat, chew and swallow.
- Job's groans come out easily and he does not try to suppress them.
- Job fears that his current condition will never end.
- Job can only see trouble, he cannot see the light.

But throughout all his suffering, Job never questions God's existence.

How many times when we are suffering have we asked: Is God punishing me? Is God mad at me? Why doesn't he explain what He is doing? How many times do we hear of terrible natural disasters: earthquakes, floods, tornadoes or great suffering at the hands of others - mass shootings, war, terrorism? Do we ask why God lets these events happen? There is no short simple answer to these questions. They can only be answered through reasoning contemplation and prayer. And just like Job, we never question God's existence.

Also, when we reflect on our pain we can go one of two ways. We can keep distressing over and over again, or we can reflect on our pain, our loss and reorient our thinking and pose new questions to ourselves, others and God.

When we suffer, our situation may seem similar to Job's. We may not see the Light at the end of the tunnel. But there is always hope with God.

Suzanne Furr (2011)