Friday, March 21, 2014

Lenten Reflection - March 21, 2014

Again, I tell you that if two of you on earth agree about anything you ask for, it will be done for you by my Father in heaven.
Matthew 18:19


Ah. The power of prayer! My first thoughts when I see this verse are of our St. James' Prayer Chain, the list of people in need on our prayer, and our own daily supplications.

How many times has someone whose name was on the prayer list, or their friend or relative, thanked the congregation for their prayers with the acknowledgement that "your prayers worked"? My own experience with "2 or more" praying for me was 22 years ago during a serious medical experience. When a friend told me that she had put my name on her church's prayer list, I was quite taken aback. I wasn't familiar with prayer chains, and she told me of this passage from Matthew and also the one from I John 5:14, "If we ask anything according to His will, He hears us." It gave me such a positive image, that I was certain I would be healed if it was His will.

Does it mean we can ask for absolutely anything in prayer, like winning the lottery for example, and it will be granted to us? Hardly! We can only ask for what Christ Himself would ask. Sometimes our prayers are not answered the way we would have wished. We cannot dictate to God and must be willing to accept his wisdom. Real prayer is communion with God. What we need is for Him to fill our hearts and minds with His thoughts so that His desires will become our desires and be reflected back to Him in our prayers, whether it is just you, or 2 or more.

Peggy Horn (2011)