Monday, March 31, 2014

Lenten Reflection - March 31, 2014

With what shall I come before the LORD, and bow myself before God on high? Shall I come before him with burnt offerings, with calves a year old? Will the LORD be pleased with thousands of rams, with ten thousands of rivers of oil? Shall I give my firstborn for my transgression, the fruit of my body for the sin of my soul?
He has told you, O mortal, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?
Micah 6:3-8


Micah was a prophet in the 8th century B.C. He, as well as other prophets, was charged with keeping God before the people and listening for the voice of God. The Lord says, He has a case against the people of Israel. He wants to know what He has done that causes them to act the way they do. In this passage God is speaking to the people of Israel, reminding them of some of the things that He has done for them. These include bringing the people up from Egypt, sending Moses and Aaron and Miriam to lead them, etc. Man wants to know what should be done to make up for all the misdeeds. Should he come before the Lord with burnt offerings, ten thousand rivers of oil, thousands of rams, offer his firstborn for his transgressions, etc.

The Lord replies that man should "act justly, love mercy, and walk humbly with your God." These three things cover the Ten Commandments, the Golden Rule, and the Sermon on the Mount.

Priscilla Hardesty (2011)