Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Lenten Reflection - March 31, 2009

Hear my prayer, O Lord; let my cry come to you.
Psalm 102:1


My thoughts, on this passage were at first very straight-forward. The Psalm is literally asking God to listen to a request. With the word "cry" used, it shows that it is a more desperate request and for God to pay a lot of attention to our prayer. We cry out to God when we are really suffering and need his help.

The Psalm then continues on: “Do not hide your face from me in the day of my distress. Incline your ear: answer me speedily in the day when I call.”

The desperate plea had more emphasis in it and an urgency. When we are in situations that we cannot control and we are really without hope, we then cry out to the Lord. Our words might be very similar to those used here. We are telling him that we need some action on this request. A similar crying out took place in the New Testament. Jesus was in the garden and he is praying to God and crying out in anguish and sorrow that he be spared the ordeal of the crucifixion.

Jesus did receive an answer and we will too. The most important answer is that God is always with us and He is suffering with us and He will not abandon us. We need to pray to Him and have faith that He is in each of us every day throughout our life. He will send us Grace to make it through our crisis and bless us.

Shay Hall