Monday, March 2, 2009

Lenten Reflection - March 2, 2009

Then the king will say to those at his right hand, “Come, you that are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world; for I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me.”
Matthew 25:34-35

Jesus praises those for giving him food when he was hungry, a drink when he was thirsty, and welcoming him when he was a stranger. Further along it even states that when he was naked they clothed him; sick or in prison they visited him. He refers to himself, but means all of God’s people. It’s about reaching out to those we may not want to spend too much time with ordinarily.

It reminded me of a time while driving to Annapolis with two of my children. We were at an intersection where someone was collecting money. With just having read a story in the paper about how some people were coming down from Baltimore on a coach bus to beg, I averted my eyes. My children asked why I wasn’t giving any money today. They promptly reminded me that I may be looking at Jesus and he would be disappointed in me. While I do not give out money like I use to, I do try to keep gift certificates from the food chains for giving out on such occasions.

Remembering to do what is asked of us by Christ so that we can be the sheep he calls us to be is the message of this passage for me. Living by His words and lessons prepares us for that heavenly place in God’s Kingdom.

Sharon McGlaughlin