Sunday, March 29, 2009

Lenten Reflection - March 29, 2009

Restore to me the joy of your salvation, and sustain in me a willing spirit.
Psalm 51:12


The context of this passage is David’s plea for mercy, forgiveness and cleansing following his adultery with Bathsheba. The prophet Nathan had just come to David to confront him about it and the whole of Psalm 51 is about the process and effect of David being restored to God when sin has broken his formerly close relationship with God. David knew the joy of a full relationship with God, but like all of us, David willfully sinned. When the sin was pointed out to him and he began restoring the relationship first by an immediate about face, a confession and a heartfelt repentance. He sought God’s mercy from the bottom of his heart.

By nature I am a risk-seeker and adventurer. But I am reminded that God wants me to allow His Holy Spirit to be in perfect communion with my spirit. For God is always with us, in us and operates through us when sin does not block the flow. For me the joy that is restored in His salvation comes from allowing God to work His will out in me as I submit my will to His good pleasure. It is not me in control, but letting go to Him. The joy comes from experiencing God’s surprising unfolding in my life when that happens. Like David, I must always ask that God give me a willing spirit to continue in that vein. And in so doing, allow my will to be subjected to His. Therein lies the joyous communion.

Dean Lewis