Saturday, March 21, 2009

Lenten Reflection - March 21, 2009

Let us know, let us press on to know the LORD; his appearing is as sure as the dawn; he will come to us like the showers, like the spring rains that water the earth.
Hosea 6:3


This scripture immediately brings to mind one of my favorite poems. Mary Stevenson’s words remind us that God often carries us when we need him the most, like the earth needs rain in the spring.

One night I dreamed I was walking along the beach with the Lord.
Many scenes from my life flashed across the sky.
In each scene I noticed footprints in the sand.
Sometimes there were two sets of footprints,
other times there were one set of footprints.
This bothered me because I noticed
that during the low periods of my life,
when I was suffering from
anguish, sorrow or defeat,
I could see only one set of footprints.
So I said to the Lord,
"You promised me Lord,
that if I followed you,
you would walk with me always.
But I have noticed that during
the most trying periods of my life
there have only been one
set of footprints in the sand.
Why, when I needed you most,
you have not been there for me?"
The Lord replied,
"The times when you have
seen only one set of footprints in the sand,
is when I carried you."

With God’s help, I continue to grow, learn from my mistakes, and strive to share the skills and abilities that God gave me. With God’s presence as sure as the dawn, I know that What I AM is God’s gift to me, What I DO is my gift to God.

Linda Rines