Sunday, March 8, 2009

Lenten Reflection - March 8, 2009

If God is for us, who is against us? He who did not withhold his own Son, but gave him up for all of us, will he not with him also give us everything else?
Romans 8:31-32

Paul was writing this letter to the Romans, mostly Gentiles, explaining God’s love and salvation to them, yet his words now remind me of part of the wonderful hymn, How Great Thou Art:

And when I think, that God, His Son not sparing;
Sent Him to die, I scarce can take it in;
That on the Cross, my burden gladly bearing,
He bled and died to take away my sin.
Then sings my soul, My Saviour God, to Thee,
How great Thou art, How great Thou art.
Then sings my soul, My Saviour God, to Thee,
How great Thou art, How great Thou art!

How can we possibly understand the depths of God’s love for us? How can we possibly deserve the kind of love God shows us? How could he love us so much to give up his only son to die for our sins? As a parent, I cannot put words to how much I love my children, and I cannot imagine giving up a child for any reason or anyone else’s benefit. Obviously, it is beyond me to even imagine love as God loves.

We are God’s chosen ones, God’s precious children. He made us in his image. He loves us and wants us to become more and more like his son. If he loves us enough to give up his son for us, why wouldn’t he give us anything we could need or want? Since we are God’s chosen ones, who could possibly prevail against us?

Marjie Mack